Yellow rattle

Valto63

Yellow rattle

Post by Valto63 »

Has anyone noticed a lack of yellow rattle in established meadows this year? Having noticed much more tall grass growth recently, I realised there was not a lot of yellow rattle. Could it be because of all the rain this year? it hasn't happened like this previously.
newinvention

Re: Yellow rattle

Post by newinvention »

I'm in Shropshire and our rattle has done extremely well again this year - too well really. I'm looking for people/meadow owners who'd like some seed for their meadows in a bid to limit the spread of ours. It is growing on a well drained, south facing slope, but is also in evidence in the wetter part of the meadow too. Did you get overnight frosts last winter?
nickygradyscott

Post by nickygradyscott »

Our rattle is doing well in Chagford. I've started to harvest seed already.
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Post by Steve Pollard »

Valto63 - there is an abundance of grass in everyone's meadows at the moment due to - 1. the very wet spring and summer, 2. the fact that yellow rattle plants die mid-late June, and therefore the grass is no longer being parasitised. Was your sward short in spring?

newinvention - in my experience harvesting harvesting rattle seed from a meadow does not have a significant impact on it's abundance, even using a brush harvester - it produces so much seed. You could consider grazing/cutting the sward in April or having the sward long before germination time to prevent seedlings establishing.
Valto63

Post by Valto63 »

Thanks everyone, Probably the very wet spring is to blame. I am trying to thin out the thick grass growth which I think it is foxtail and is hiding some rattle.